Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

How to, as a Proclaimed Scrub, Still Look Awesome

A question has arisen: Can a declared scrub still pass as an above-average-looking human being?

Challenge accepted. 

All you scrubs out there, I got you. Don't worry. I mean, I'm not going to put on airs and act like I always look great; I definitely have full-on scrub days when I don't even really pass as... human. But, on average, I like to think (and I believe others do too?) that I look better-than-acceptable.

Here are some tips to achieve you-don't-know-I'm-actually-a-scrub status, without sacrificing all hope of comfort.

  1. Harem pants/draped pants. What a blessing. You do need to make sure the top is fairly fitted and/or cropped, otherwise you'll just look like a sack. 
  2. Dresses. To be honest, I never really understood this logic; so many female scrubs have told me that dresses are absolute scrub-savers, because they take zero effort. That's not really the case for me, because dresses are personally worry-inducing, but see what works for you. Logically, I suppose it'd be very simple to pull one over your head and be good to go. 
  3. High-waisted shorts. Find a pair that fit you perfectly (none of those that give you wedgies and/or leave behind those oh-so flattering pinch lines) and hold on tight. Try to get a black pair, a denim pair, and a white/mint/miscellaneous-color pair. High-waisted shorts elongate the legs and can go with any type of top. 
  4. Loose sweaters/cardigans. Soft, feminine sweaters are super comfy and still constitute second glances. A flash of the collarbone is pretty on point.
  5. A maxi skirt and tucked-in tank top. It can look exceptional with the right colors/patterns/fabrics, and it's so effortless. 
  6. Lace shorts. They will get you so. Many. Compliments. I kid you not. They're fairly easy to style, and people notice
  7. Tie a simple tee, short-sleeved or long-sleeved. It's sexy and helps streamline an outfit. 
  8. Brandy Melville. Enough said. (Yeah, I know, my California is showing...) So comfortable and still cute. 
  9. Get out of your bed and plan your outfit out the night before. If you're really not feeling it, just wear the next day's ensemble to sleep. (We've all been there... don't be ashamed.)
  10. If you do have a day for sweats (or a couple...), make sure your face looks good that day. You have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Either you have to spend time on your bodily ensemble or you have to make an effort to... well, make up your face.
  11. Make sure at least once a week, you actually attempt to look nice. As in, you put on a two-piece ensemble that required some coordination and thought (e.g. a pale blue high-waisted skirt and burgundy crop top paired with some strappy sandals), and brush your hair.
Conclusion: It's all about balance. Sadly, a scrub can't go full out scrub without appearing to completely fail at life.

Source: Experienced scrub who suffers from extreme chronic laziness. If I can do it, you can do it. 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh the glorious secrets of being elegant like Julianne! [:

    ReplyDelete